Celebrity-clad awards ceremonies have long been setting trends for upcoming fashion seasons. This awards season is no different. At Sunday’s Video Music Awards red carpet-spectators were treated to a host of sexy, slick, and sophisticated styles, with special attention to shoes and accessories.
Best of all, the awards shows marked the beginning of some spectacular fall trends which you can pull off without the flashy gown! Below are some of the fall looks favored by Selena Gomez, Sofia Vergara, Lo Bosworth, Rihanna, and other stylish celebs.
The sequins that shone through summer are still with us for fall. Follow Stephanie Pratt‘s and Sofia Vergara‘s lead when taking on this bold fall look:
* Invest in “all-occasion” sequins. Black, bronze and silver look great with just about anything!
* Pair sequins with denim for the ultimate in cool fall looks
* If you’re too conservative for a skirt or top made entirely of sequins, look for pieces with sequin accents, like a clutch purse or some peep-toe pumps like the Style No. FY 016 E by Luiza Barcelos, $268
Starlets like Selena Gomez rocked the red carpet with in a metallic silver gown with blue gemstone accents. Obviously not an everyday look, but you can jazz up your fall wardrobe with metallic accents such as a metallic headband like Rihanna.
To get the most out of your metallic look, make sure to follow these golden rules:
* Pay close attention to the fabric. You don’t want your item to look like a roll of aluminum foil!
* Metallic embellishment can jazz up any day or evening ensemble. The shimmery style looks great worn from head-to-toe or simply as a fun accessory. Have fun with this trend!
* For a daytime look, pair your silver accessories with soft gray-colored clothing and your golden accent pieces with khaki or pale rose, like the Clutch Malha in Metal Gold by Ira Salles, $318
Exotic skins are a big trend for fall and none is none is more striking than python. Lady Gaga wowed us once again pairing her Alexander McQueen gown with 12-inch python platform heels. Granted we all aren’t as ballsy as Gaga, so follow these guidelines when picking out the perfect pieces for your closet:
* Animal-inspired items are all about making a statement, but choose wisely. You don’t want to end up looking like a walking zoo!
* For the perfect python look, keep it classic with neutral colors like black, nude, or grey. The Winner shoe by Cavage, $668, is a perfect investment because you can pair them with several different outfits!
Photos via WireImage.com